Are you in the market for a used car in Evansville, Indiana? You are choosing a financially-smart option that can land you the vehicle you’ve always wanted without breaking your wallet. The question now is – where do you find a quality used car? And how do you make sure you’re buying from a trusted seller?
You have a few options in Evansville when it comes to used cars for sale. This article will go into a little more detail about private sellers, big-box dealerships, and local used car dealers along with the pros and cons of each. The more you know, the better you can make an informed decision – so let’s get to it!
Large car dealerships
Buying a used car from a large, big-box dealership is an attractive option because consumers know they will find a reliable car. Used cars are typically traded in for a new model and undergo rigorous testing and servicing before they are put up for sale on the lot. While there are a lot of advantages to buying a used car from a big-box dealership, it doesn’t come without its drawbacks.
- Vehicles are thoroughly inspected and repaired
- Dealerships must provide a car history check
- Comes with warranty and dealer perks such as accessories and incentives
- The necessary paperwork is handled by the team
- Big-box dealerships typically charge higher prices
- Dealing with a professional sales team leaves little room for negotiations
- Fewer financing options – some dealerships have an agreement with only one or two large financial institutions
If you choose to purchase from a private seller, it’s extremely important to take your time and make sure that the vehicle is in good condition and offered at a fair price. Be wary of prices that are too good to be true – more often than not, they are. Has the vehicle been inspected by a professional technician of your choice? If the seller suggests one that they know, kindly decline. Ask for a test drive and do your own walk-around inspection.
While it’s good to proceed with caution when it comes to private sellers, many are honest individuals who don’t want to trade their car into a dealership and want to sell their vehicle to someone who needs it. While there are some obvious disadvantages, there are also good things that can come out of buying a car from a private seller.
- There’s more room for negotiation
- You’re more likely to get a better price for the particular car compared to the same car being sold by a big-box dealership
- Can come with accessories, tires, and add-ons that the owner does not need
- No quality assurance
- Private sellers are not subjected to a set of standards, laws, or regulations
- Vehicles are sold ‘as is’ – any issues after the purchase are your responsibility
- You and the seller are responsible for completing all of the paperwork
Local used car dealer in Evansville
Last but certainly not least, working with a local used car dealer can give you the best of both worlds – a lower price than a big-box dealership but with quality assurance, rigorous inspection, repairs, and warranty. And unlike a private seller, a local used car dealership has a reputation to uphold and is committed to serving the local community.
- Specializes in selling and finding quality used cars
- Some used car dealerships take trade-ins
- Offers a wider range of vehicle financing options, even to those with poor credit. Local used car dealerships have the freedom of working with different types of lenders to help you find the financing that works for you
- Vehicles are inspected and repaired
- Local companies want your 5-star reviews and work hard to offer good customer service to bring in more business
- Some used car dealerships offer warranty
- It May not have the same incentives and offers as a big-box dealership
- Less room for negotiation than you would with a private seller
Whatever medium you choose, the key to finding a fair deal and a quality used car in Evansville is to do your research, take your time, and get an outside opinion. The last thing you want is to drive away from the seller or dealer with all of the papers signed only for the car to break down on the way home. Imagining this scenario is reason enough to make sure you cover all of your bases before making the purchase!